Work Culture in Prague

This week my workload started to slow down a bit compared to other weeks. At first it seemed like there was a million and one things to do. On Tuesday, we had this client-agency bonding day that we call Agency Day, so Monday was a crazy day trying to get ready for that. The week before we had our photoshoot for the August Editorial and we had to borrow all those clothes to shoot in, so Monday morning Aubri and I had to lug them all back to their stores. The person that was supposed to handle it on Friday got sick and never came in, so we were stuck bringing everything back even though we had too many other things to do. I still had to handle the community management for Bata, which meant answering all the direct messages and comments on both Instagram and Facebook. This task definitely got easier after a I had time to get used to all the different rules, but it’s still an annoying and tiring task. I had to do this twice a day: when I got to work in the morning and about an hour before I left, because it took about an hour to do each time.

In addition to those tasks, I also had to prepare for the Agency Day the next day. I’m still not sure why Tamas, my boss, decided to give me one of the biggest responsibilities of the day, but I guess I am grateful because it definitely gave me an opportunity to show the client and my coworkers that I am able to handle real responsibilities. The task was to create a presentation, which ended up being two presentations, to highlight the new trends and innovations of the social media world today. The week before I had been doing a lot of research and coming up with topics for the presentation, which, after talking to Tamas, ended up being a lot more than I expected. In the end, I think I had about six trends for Instagram, six for Facebook, and eleven more general innovations in the field like ads on TikTok or Facebook building AR glasses. Putting all of those topics into a presentation was almost the hardest part for a few reasons. The first being that my boss requires us to use Apple’s presentation software, Keynote, which I had never used before and had to figure out while trying to make this presentation. The second reason, is that they also require us to use the companies templates for each slide, so I had to take some extra time to design each slide according to how they wanted it to look. Lastly, there was just so many slides between all of the topic slides and title cards that it just took a while to get all the information in there and in there semi-eloquently. I ran out of time putting it together the week before, so I had to do some more work on it over the weekend and on Monday. I had to show Tamas the semi-final presentations on Monday afternoon and luckily he didn’t have too many changes because I was still missing some content like images and screenshots of the things I was talking about.

On Tuesday we all arrived at 8am, instead of the usual 9:30am, to get ready to host around 10 people in our office all day. Tamas made three different types of smoothies as a sort of game for the clients because they had to guess what was inside each one. We set up our conference room with pastries, lots of lemon water, and coffees for the guests and they finally arrived at 9:30. We started with the smoothie test and then Tamas presented about how the clients social media had been doing for the past year. After that we took a coffee break and moved on to the first of my presentations, Trends in Social Media. I was really nervous at first because it was a big deal to present this much information to the clients, but I think in the end it went pretty well. I felt a little less nervous before my second presentation and luckily that one also went smoothly. After those two crazy days, I didn’t have much to do, because we didn’t have any new projects yet. I still worked on the community management every day, but other than that, I didn’t have much to do.

I am really intrigued by the work culture here, because it does have differences compared to the U.S. Everyone is just much more relaxed about work here. For instance, people are constantly coming in late and leaving early or taking half days. They also take a one hour lunch and normally leave the office to do so, which I feel is very different from the US, where companies often try to make you forget there is an outside world. I think that this, out of all the culture differences, is something that I would like to integrate into professional life in America. While the coming in late and taking half days sounds nice sometimes, I often wonder how they get any work done. I know that Aubri has noticed the same thing, because she constantly has to be reminding people about tasks and asking when things will be completed. I think that the one hour lunch break out of the office really helps me to clear my mind and think about something other than work for a bit. Then, when I come back to the office I feel much more refreshed and ready to keep working. On Monday, when we had that crazy day, we didn’t have time to leave the office for lunch so we ate at our desks and kept working, which is how many US offices run. That day I was so much more fidgety at the end of the day and anxious to leave, which I really hadn’t felt here until then. I only have two more weeks left, so I hope I get some new projects to work on soon. Until next time!