I remember how much I struggled with packing for a WHOLE semester abroad in Sydney. I had no idea how much to pack, what I would need, how much storage there would be, and if the weather changed. After now having experience traveling to Sydney (duh), within Australia and outside of Australia I figured I would touch on some packing tips. There is no particular order for this list and is meant to fit a semester long program like what I am participating in. Here we go!
- Laundry Bag. I didn’t think to bring one, but it is very much a necessity.
- You don’t need to necessary pack a lot of clothes – but I know quite a few girls that packed almost their closet’s worth of clothes and shoes. There is so much storage space in Urbanest I wouldn’t worry about over packing too much. I packed about 15-20 shirts (since it’s summer here it is mostly tank tops and t-shirts so it doesn’t take up a lot of space), 10 pairs of shorts, a few skirts and dresses and a variety of shoes.
- Bring a long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt – it does get chilly with the air-conditioning here!
- Bring travel size items. If you know you are going to travel you’ll want to bring some travel size shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, lotion, etc.
- If you know you are going to travel to let’s say to New Zealand or Bali or Melbourne etc. make sure you pack accordingly. You might need warmer clothes or more summery clothes depending on the weather there.
- Pack or bring a small suitcase or duffle bag for short weekend trips.
- Make sure you have the correct adapters
- If it’s summer like it is right now, pack sunscreen, swimsuits and sunglasses! My friends and I have learned it is hard to find sunscreen higher than SPF 50.
- Snacks are a must! Coming to Sydney, I packed a few comfort snacks with me for the airplane ride here. Small things like this are perfect for the plane ride and for when you first arrive in Sydney.
- SAVE ROOM FOR SOUVENIRS AND CLOTHES that you WILL buy!
This is most definitely not an end all list but rather a few tips to keep in mind when packing for Sydney.
Till Next Time!